Thursday, October 24, 2013

356: Global Media Flow

On page 407 in the POL book it mentions how popular culture travels across national boundaries. They mention shows like American Idol and Survivor but this reminded me of some of the shows that I watch. The Office is an example of this. I tried watching the British version of The Office but I said nope, this is not as good as the American version. They have cool accents but I think it's the humor and some of the terms I didn't really get so it wasn't very funny for me.


One British show that I do like or did like I don't know I haven't watched it in a long time so I'm not up to date with that but it's called Misfits. It's about these people who get super powers after a storm and it's very addicting (the show). Their powers are very different nothing like being able to fly or be super strong  but like turning invisible, not being able to die, one can go back in time I think. I think they swap powers at some point and it's too much to explain but it's good. You can watch it on Hulu.





1 comment:

  1. Are you suggesting that humor is culturally/socially determined--that it's context-based? Peeps in the UK, for example, have different ideas of what is funny when compared to those in the states? How then does this relate to global media and information exchange -- are they too context based--will some information, for example, have inherent biases, symbols, or meanings based on context, environment, audience?

    ReplyDelete